Out of all the spooky things you will have to deal with this October, there is nothing scarier than having a clogged sewer line at your Troy, IL home. Having a backed-up sewer line leads to all kinds of trouble. Here we will be discussing some information you should know about clogged-up sewer lines, what causes them and how you should approach them.
What Causes These Kinds of Backups?
Sewer lines can become clogged over a period of time. If you are not maintaining your pipes, backups can easily occur. You will notice signs that your pipes are clogged when your sink and tub drain slowly or if your toilet or other drains start gurgling. The worst sign that you could experience is a foul smell coming from your drains. There are a couple of things that could be clogging up your drains.
- Trash: It’s important not to throw any trash down your drains. Trying to flush anything down a drain other than what it was designed for can cause a backup. Remember to treat all your drains well.
- Food: If you are trying to send food down your pipes, remember to make use of your garbage disposal. Try not to pour grease, rice, eggshells, or anything else garbage disposal is not going to help much down your sink’s drain. These can all easily block up your pipes.
- Roots: Tree roots can easily break right into your pipes for a drink. When they do this, they will grow small balled-up threads that will clog your main line. Make sure that you get these roots cleaned out of your system at least once a year.
Steps to Take During a Clogged Sewer Line Backup
What do you do when water starts to back up from your drains, potentially causing damage to your property in Troy, IL? Do not panic, there are ways to help mitigate any issues until you can get your clogged sewer line fixed.
- In any areas where you are having a backup, move your belongings away from it. Keep them away from the sink or off the basement/bathroom floor.
- Try to avoid doing laundry or flushing the toilet in your house.
- See if your homeowner’s insurance has any policies for clean-ups or back-ups.
- Contact a professional plumber or sewer service to fix the backup.
If you are looking for professional plumbing services to help you unclog your clogged sewer line in your Troy, IL home, contact our expert team over at Baileys Sewer and Water today. Our team is here to provide the residents of the Metro-East area with our quality plumbing services.